Our Famous Rigatoni “D” has a very special history at Maggiano’s. This dish was named after its creator, David DiGregorio. David was an Executive Chef at our original Clark & Grand location in Chicago. David and his team spent about 3 months perfecting the Marsala Cream Sauce to compliment the herb-roasted chicken, mushrooms and caramelized onions. This dish wasn’t his only claim to fame – he also helped create dishes like Nonna’s Toasted Pound Cake, Mom’s Lasagna, Crispy Zucchini Fritté, and Chicken & Spinach Manicotti. So salute to Chef DiGregorio and enjoy this recipe a home!
For this recipe, we're going to prepare the mushrooms, the pasta, and the sauce separately, and then we'll bring them all together at the end.
- 1⁄4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Button Mushrooms, sliced 1⁄4” thick
- 1⁄3 cup Yellow Onion, diced 1⁄4”
- 1 each Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1⁄8 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 450°. In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix until onions and mushrooms are seasoned with garlic and salt and pepper and well coated with vinegar. Place seasoned onions and mushrooms on a 12x18 cookie sheet and bake in the preheated 450° oven until mushrooms reach a deep brown color, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reserve (set aside).
- 10 oz Scaled Rigatoni Pasta
- 1 oz Volume Olive Oil
Follow directions on box for cooking. When pasta is cooked, drain and toss with olive oil. Reserve.
Marsala Cream Sauce:
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, cold
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 oz Volume Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chicken Breast, boneless/skinless, cut in 1” long by 1⁄2” wide strips
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay
- 3⁄4 cup Marsala Wine
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Parsley, fresh, chopped
- 3 oz Volume Aged Parmesan Cheese
In a small mixing bowl, add chicken broth and corn starch. Mix with a wire whip until incorporated. Reserve.
- In a 4 quart sauce pan, add olive oil and 2 oz of butter. Heat until butter is fully melted and begins to froth.
- Immediately add chicken and cook until well seared and slightly caramelized.
- Add white wine and Marsala and reduce liquid by half.
- Add chicken broth/corn starch mixture and heat to a simmer.
- Add heavy cream, salt, black pepper, and reserved roasted mushrooms and onions. Cook until sauce slightly thickens.
- Add cooked rigatoni pasta and cook at a low simmer until sauce coats rigatoni, approximately 2 minutes.
- Turn flame off, add basil, parsley, and parmesan cheese.
- Mix to incorporate.
Serves 4 to 6. Mangiare!!!